Make Every Day A New Year’s Day!
Sometimes I wonder why do people greet each other “Happy New Year”? Was the old year anything but happy?
I have observed that we think of New Year’s Day as the perfect date to “reboot” ourselves. We promise – this time, this year – to lose weight, to spend more time with family, to learn a new skill, and so on.
Then as we pack up the holiday décor and dive back to the daily grind, our resolutions on January 1 devolve into best intentions by January 15. We lose heart and wait for the next New Year’s Day to make those same resolutions!
But it doesn’t have to be that way. You may have heard of the quote “Today is the first day of the rest of your life.” Well, this means every day is New Year’s Day! It kicks off the next 365 days of your earthly existence. Really.
That means we can wake up each morning with the same giddiness and optimism as if it were New Year’s Day. Here’s how.
- Don’t have a resolution. Have a goal with numbers and timetables.
- Now break down that goal into specific action items that will eventually fulfill that goal.
- Plug those action items into your calendar where you can regularly see them.
- Prioritize those action items in your daily to-do list. That’s your New Year’s Day – everyday!
- Keep doing it 365 times and your new year will be definitely better than the last one.
And remember: “Because of the LORD’s great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never end. They are new every morning, great is [His] faithfulness” (Lamentations 2:22-23).
Blessed New Year, everyone!
Photo by Daniella Maccines, Unsplash